You know how sometimes in those winter months you want to eat something reminiscent of a summer day, but nothing warms your belly in the morning better then hot oats? well I believe I have the solution!
Think Tropical Island, meets Drizzly England 😉
So heres the ingredients-
this should make enough for 2 hungry bellies
– 1 c Oats (wholegrain, rye, barley, whatever really.)
– 1/2 c Fresh coconut flakes (or dried)
– 1.5 c Water
– 1/2 cup Organic coconut milk
– 2 tsp Coconut nectar (optional)
– 4 tbsp Coconut yoghurt (co-yo)
– 1 large Banana or 2 small
– 1 brown shell Coconut to serve in (split into 2 halves) (definitely optional, but looks pretty awesome!! plus you can use the coconut for the fresh flakes)
1. Heat a pot on the stove, medium heat.
2. Add the oats and water, stirring occasionally, until the water reduced and oats cook (probably about 3 min)
3. Once the water has reduced and the oats have thickened stir in the coconut milk.
4. Serve between the 2 bowls or coconut shells.
5. Top with 2 tbsp of coconut yoghurt on each, the sliced banana, the coconut flakes, and drizzle the coconut nectar over the top.
You can also substitute the Oats for Quinoa for a complete protein source, although cooking time will be much longer. I will be posting a recipe for Quinoa porridge soon 🙂