Growing up, if there was any chocolate I would have eaten, it was Cherry Ripes.. I wasn’t big on chocolate, but my god, Cherry Ripes were my jam!
So I’ve put myself to the task to recreate them in a much healthier and more nourishing form. and I’ve done it!
these guilt free treats are vegan, GF, naturally sweetened, and full of good fats and antioxidants.
I like using coconut nectar in my recipes because its low GI, fructose based, and is the most sustainable sweetener on the market. Plus it tastes AH-MAZING, sort of butterscotchy.. mmm
but your welcome to try it with any sweetener of choice or a natural artificial sweetener.
Ive made this recipe three times now, to perfect it, and I must say it tastes much more scrumptious using the fresh cherries over dried, but the option is there because it is still de-lish-o
I made this recipe for the beautiful team at Coconut Essence, and you can find it up on their blog
Now for the nitty, gritty, coco-nutty details-
2.5 c shredded coconut
4 tbsp coconut nectar
¼ cup melted jts coconut essence coconut oil
½ – 1 cup chopped & pipped cherries (or alternatively use dried cherries)
½ cup coconut milk
¼ cup its coconut essence coconut oil
¼ cup coconut nectar
pinch of salt
3 tbsp cacao butter
1/3 cup cacao powder
1. blend the coconut milk, coconut, coconut nectar and coconut oil until well combined
2. add the cherries and blend until the cherries are roughly combined
3. line a slice/loaf tin with cling wrap, press the mixture into the tin firmly and wrap the edges of the cling wrap around the mixture and press. Place in the freezer for approximately 20 minutes to set.
4. Meanwhile make the raw chocolate by placing a bowl over a boiling pot, add the coconut oil, cacao butter and coconut nectar, stir until melted and well combined. Remove from the heat and stir in the cacao powder and salt.
5. Remove the tin from the freezer, and slice into bars of a desirable size.
6. Dunk each bar in the chocolate and place on a tray lined with baking paper.
7. Return to the freezer to set the chocolate and repeat until you have the desired amount of coats of chocolate. (2-3 should be enough)
8. And last and most importantly… enjoy your delicious guilt free cherry ripe!
Store in the freezer, and allow to thaw for 5-10 minutes before eating. 🙂