Well well well… Jaffa, my new found love, we meet again…
So these were a bit of an unintended little creation I came up with, for a recent uni presentation, that turned out perfectly!
We (myself and my friend) created these delights as a ‘nutritional supplement’ for our ‘patients’ suffering a rare disease of the blood vessels for a Pathophysiology speech. So since anaemia is commonly experienced by these patients we decided to make something rich in iron- and my favourite superfood Cacao was it! Next we needed something high in vitamin C for healthy strong collagen in the blood vessel walls.. Hmm, Oranges of course! And so it turns out they’re actually the perfect pair..
See mother nature has it all worked out for us, pair some of your favourite foods together and combined you will get all the important nutrients.. You wanna know another super cool fun fact … Vitamin C (absorbic acid) improves Iron Absorption when eaten together. And of course most importantly they taste amazing together!! 😉
So since I wasn’t planning on blogging these the measurements are quiet rough. I tend to just throw all these things together with out a lot of thought when I’m not blogging. But since my wonderful instagram followers have insisted, I shall share this recipe with you all 🙂
So what you will need…
– 2 cups of organic raw almonds
– 1 cup of organic dates (fresh pitted Medjool or dried and soaked in water for 20min)
– 1/2 cup dried organic shredded coconut
– 1/2 cup raw buckwheat grouts
– juice and rind of 1 organic orange
– 8-10 drops of orange essential oil (optional)
– 1/4 to 1/3 cup of raw organic cacao powder
– 1/4 to 1/3 cup melted organic coconut oil
– couple of cracks of sea salt
– extra dessicated coconut for rolling
– extra orange rind for decorating
Optionally you can also add a tablespoon of any other superfood powders such as Maca, Mesquite, Protein etc..
How to make these…
1. Blend the almonds until roughly blended, add the dates and shredded coconut and blend until a crumbly mixture is formed
2. transfer to a large mixing bowl, add the cacao powder, sea salt, buckwheat, any superfood powders you wish, the orange juice, rind, and oil. stir well.
3. add the 1/4 cup of coconut oil and mix well with your hands. If it’s not moist enough to roll into balls then add some more coconut oil and massage in with your hands.
4. taste to see if there’s enough cacao in there to suit your liking, and add more if you like it darker and richer.
5. place some desiccated coconut (~1/4 cup) in a bowl, roll the mixture into heaped tablespoon sized balls with your hands and roll in the desiccated coconut, place in a container, sprinkle with extra orange rind and store in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer if you want to keep them longer.
and if you like these, then you will probably like my other Jaffa Mousse Slice recipe on my blog, so check it out 🙂
and remember to tag me in any of your Elsa creations @elsas_wholesomelife