Oh Christmas time! What a perfect opportunity for me to create another recipe for a beautiful raw slice for you all. Since its summer here in Australia I’ve decided to use seasonal summer fruits such as mango, passionfruit and berries… a colourful dessert centerpiece for your Christmas table spread!
This slice is raw, vegan, gluten free, and made from all natural ingredients as always.
I’ve used Maqui berry powder to add a beautiful colour to the middle layer. I had been meaning to get my hands on some Maqui berry powder for almost a year now, and now I’m hooked, this superfood has one of the highest antioxidant levels in fruits on the planet!! Historically it has been used medicinally for thousands of years in South America, pretty cool! You can get Maqui powder from your health food store, or online from Loving Earth (I choose this brand because its Organic and Fair Trade certified)
If your confused about which natural sweetener is the best (there is so many on the market and its hard to decide which ones the best) well I’ve chosen to use coconut flower nectar by coconut magic to sweeten this slice as it adds a delicious caramel sweetness, its raw, low GI and has low fructose. You can use it in the base instead of dates as well if you would like a lower fructose substitute (substitute the dates for ¼ c of coconut flower nectar).
½ c almonds
1 c buckwheat grouts
½ c dried coconut
¼ c coconut oil
½ tsp vanilla power
Pinch sea salt
2 tbsp warm water
2 c raw cashews (soaked overnight)
¼ c sweetner (I used coconut flower nectar)
½ c coconut oil
Juice and rind of 1 lemon
2.5 c chopped mango pieces
4 tbsp maqui berry powder
Pinch of sea salt
Serve with fresh passionfruit, grated lemon rind, and dehydrated orange slices (made by place in oven on 100 degrees with door open for 2 hours or using a dehydrator)
How to make:
- Blend the nuts and the buckwheat until grainy, add the dates and coconut and blend again until well combined.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the coconut oil, vanilla, salt, and water. Mix well using your hands so that the mixture is moist and tangible.
- Line a baking dish, I used a 20cm x 20cm square cake tin, with cling wrap to assist getting it out once its set.
- Press the base mixture into the bottom of the tray, press flat, leave in freezer to set while making the top layer.
- drain the cashews and add to a blender/food processor (I highly recommend a high powdered processor such as a vitamix) with the sweetener and lemon juice and rind and blend for 2-5 minutes or until well combined and blended smooth.
- Add the coconut oil and 2 cups of mango pieces (save ½ c of mango for the end) and blend again for a further 2-5 minutes (may take longer if your blender is lower powered and you may need to pause and scrape the sides down).
- Transfer half the mixture to a mixing bowl, and with the remaining half in the blender add the maqui berry powder and reblend to combine it well (this is your yummy purple layer!)
- Remove the base from the freezer and pour/scoop the purple maqui berry layer into the baking tray, give it a shake/wobble so its spreads evenly and transfer back to the freezer.
- With the mango layer in the mixing bowl add the passionfruit pulp from the 2 passionfruits, and the remaining ½ cup of diced mango pieces, and stir through. You may choose to pour this layer straight over the top of the purple layer, or wait half to 1 hour so that it may set in the freezer partially so that the layers don’t mix at all. (I waited half an hour, left it on the counter while I cleaned up all the mess- multi tasking 😉 )
- Transfer the baking dish back to the freezer to set overnight, in the morning (I suggest waiting overnight so that it can fully set/freeze, it makes it a heck of a lot easier to cut!) remove the slice from the tray either by pulling on the edges of the cling wrap or by wedging it out with a knife- I had some serious difficulty getting mine out, the lil bugger just didn’t want to come out for me. Cut into your desired size slices, mine were cut into approx. 5 rows by 3 which made 15 pieces, however I recommend cutting each of these in half to make 30 square servings J
You can then decorate this beautiful treat with some fresh passionfruit, grated lemon rind, and dehydrated orange slices, or whatever you like, get creative!
Keep frozen, and defrost when serving, I like to remove mine from the freezer 10 minutes before I want to eat it.. Although usually I cant wait and its gone by 10 minutes hehehe. Also, in this summer heat of the day it may melt! I learnt this when trying to take photos for the blog, it did not like the mid day sun! So keep refrigerated once removed from the freezer if not consuming straight away.
So there you have it! A beautiful summery raw treat for everyone to enjoy, and another wonderful Christmas season nourishing dessert that you healthy foodies can enjoy, guilt free.
I seriously have so much fun planning and making these recipes for you guys, so thankyou to everyone who reads my blogs or attempts some of the crazy food I share cause its you guys who keep me inspired and motivated! Woohoo!
I hope you enjoy, and remember to tag me in your beautiful creations so I can see J
Big love and happy holidays,